Graphic designer for print and web-based materials; experienced as a sole practitioner, a team member in a creative group, and a team manager. I enjoy identifying a client’s objectives and visually communicating that information in the most effective way possible to reach the intended audience. I also have modest photography skills, helpful for budget-conscious projects that require custom pictures for clients.
Print Design: Logos, Brochures, Newsletters, Direct Mail, Annual Reports, Magazine Layout.
Web Design: HTML, CSS, jQuery.
What I’m Doing Now & Where I’ve Been:
As digital design editor for the Mississippi State University Office of Public Affairs, Heather M. Rowe incorporates strategic and analytical thinking into the design process to communicate the messages of the university effectively, both in print publications and on the web. She works independently with minimal supervision, and she has experience managing a creative team.
Using her strong sense of typography, layout, design, color and aesthetics, she provides leadership in concept and delivery of design for the university’s top-tier web pages and for the institutional magazine, Alumnus. Because of her ability to interpret business needs into design projects and grasp broad project objectives, Rowe also assists with university branding and imaging, and with designing other publications as assigned.
Originally brought to the university as a graphic designer for the Bagley College of Engineering, Rowe joined the Bulldog family in 2006. She was named publications manager of the college’s communications office in early 2011 and transitioned to the public affairs office in 2014.
Prior to coming to MSU, she served as a graphic designer for Kailo Communications Studio in Corpus Christi, Texas, where she further developed her skills in print and web design. She earned her bachelor’s degree in graphic design from Ball State University. Since her graduation, Rowe has also maintained a creative design studio as an independent consultant providing innovative, media-driven communications for small businesses and non-profits.
Rowe is a member of the American Institute of Graphic Arts and the University & College Designers Association. She has been recognized at the state and regional levels for excellence in design and communication.
Award Winning Work
• 2016 Council for the Advancement and Support of Education (CASE) – District III, Grand Award – Magazine Improvement: Alumnus Magazine
• 2016 Education Advertising Awards from Higher Ed Marking Report – Gold, www.msstate.edu
• 2016 CPRAM – Grand Award & First Place – www.msstate.edu
• 2015 PRAM – PRism Award – Internal Communications
• 2015 PRAM – PRism Award – External Communications
• 2015 PRAM – PRism Award – www.msstate.edu
• 2015 Bulldog PRism Award – Alumnus Magazine
• 2015 Bulldog PRism Award – www.msstate.edu
• 2014 Bulldog PRism Award – MSU Mascot History: Bully through the years
• 2013 PRAM Award of Excellence – Momentum
• 2013 PRAM Award of Excellence – Dimensions – Annual Report
• 2013 PRAM Award of Excellence – Dean’s Report
• 2013 PRAM Award of Excellence – Tailgating T-Shirt ’12
• 2012 SPRF, Lantern Award – Homecoming Tailgate ’11
• 2012 SPRF, Award of Excellence – Momentum
• 2012 PRAM, Judges Choice Award – Homecoming Tailgate ’11
• 2012 PRAM, Award of Excellence in special purpose publications – Momentum
• 2012 PRAM, Two Award of Excellence for the OCHS Logo and Promotional item
• 2011 Bagley College of Engineering Outstanding Professional Staff Award
• 2011 PRAM, PRism award for promotional item
• 2011 PRAM, Award of Excellence for the external magazine category
• 2010 Mississippi Association of Broadcasters, Excellence in Broadcasting Award – Silver. Faculty Division – program/informational: Wastewater as Biofuel
• 2009 SPRF, Award of Excellence for Momentum
• 2009 SPRF, Award of Excellence for www.bagley.msstate.edu